guix-devel

Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo

From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo
Subject: Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 10:42:46 -0500

El sáb, 14-02-2015 a las 19:18 -0500, Mark H Weaver escribió:
> Luis Felipe López Acevedo <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I just pushed modified backgrounds for GRUB using the new GuixSD logo.
> > To use the new backgrounds, GRUB configuration should be updated to use
> > "yellow" for selected entries in the list (see attached image).
> >
> > As always, comments and suggestions are welcome,
>
> The drop shadow that you added here defeats the illusion of the
> 3-dimensional twist that makes earlier renditions of this logo so
> compelling.  It ends up looking flat.  Any ideas how this could be
> improved?

Thanks for pointing that out, Mark. I agree with you. I spent too much
time in front of that logo, so it is hard for me to notice those details
sometimes.

This is the current image:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/A-grub.png

And here are some variants for comparison.

This is variant B, which is the same as the current image, but without
the shadow:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/B-grub-no-shadow.png

I think that the gradients that give the illusion of twist are still a
bit hard to see. So here is variant C with retouched gradients:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/C-grub-retouched-twist.png

I think it looks better. But here is a D variant which includes the
retouched twist of C and adds a drop shadow:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/D-grub-retouched-drop-shadow.png

This shadow is more subtle than the one used in the current GRUB image,
but it may still flatten the logo because it is bevelled.

I like C and D, but would go with C to avoid the problem you mention.

What do you think?