guix-devel

Re: libarchive fails tests on i686

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: libarchive fails tests on i686
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2015 00:18:54 +0100

On Thu, Mar 05, 2015 at 11:54:42PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:

> > In linuxfromscratch, libarchive is only mentioned as "recommended" to build
> > cmake:
> >    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/svn/general/cmake.html
> > So maybe we could take it out from the cmake inputs?
>
> I do not know enough about this to decide either way.

In that case, from what I understand, cmake will use its bundled copy, so it
is not a good idea to drop the input.

> I haven't yet looked more closely at what the tests are trying to
> establish.  Are you suggesting that the tests fail because GNU tar
> behaves differently?

I wondered about this; it is quite probable they behave differently.
But the Makefile calls a test program which I think is bsdtar in this case.

> I would like to understand the test failure better, but on the other
> side this failure blocks a considerable number of packages motivating me
> to get rid of the problem.  I don't know what side effects the above
> configure flags would have.  Could we just disable these tests for now?

Well, I suppose they have no side effects except for disabling the build
of bsdtar and bsdcpio, and I do not see why we would have a use for them
on guix. Cmake itself links to libarchive as shown by "ldd", so it should
not be affected.

Andreas