guix-devel

Re: 01/01: gnu: Add gst-libav.

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: 01/01: gnu: Add gst-libav.
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 10:14:40 -0400

宋文武 <address@hidden> writes:

> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> 宋文武 <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> commit 1b922590d758e458ce4f9abd3d1694045bcccb58
>>> Author: 宋文武 <address@hidden>
>>> Date:   Fri Apr 10 21:01:10 2015 +0800
>>>
>>>     gnu: Add gst-libav.
>>>
>>>     * gnu/packages/gstreamer.scm (gst-libav): New variable.
>>
>> Can we add gst-ffmpeg and remove gst-libav?  It seems that ffmpeg has
>> won out in the ffmpeg/libav fork.
> It seems to me that GStreamer choose libav over ffmpeg when made the
> 1.0 release.  That is why there are:
>   gst-ffmpeg-0.10.x
>   gst-libav-1.x

Indeed, you are right.

>>   https://lwn.net/Articles/607591/
>>
>> Also, can we make it use the system ffmpeg library that we already have
>> instead of a bundled copy?  It would be good to avoid code duplication
>> for several reasons.  Code duplication means more memory use in the
>> system, and more importantly, it means multiple copies of the software
>> to patch when investigating and applying security updates or build fixes
>> for Guix, fixes for non-Intel platforms, etc.  As the person who seems
>> to be doing almost all of the work on non-Intel platforms and most of
>> the security updates, I'd strongly prefer to minimize that workload.
> I Agree.
>>
>> What do you think?
> I quick tested gst-libav linked with ffmpeg from Guix,
> it does seem work fine, but may need more testing or some
> confirm from upstream.
>
> I think it's great to use system ffmpeg, if no problem occurs,

Sounds good to me.  In another thread you reported that it seems to work
with our system ffmpeg and provided a patch, so I'm quite happy with
this result.

> or we can use system libav (to be packaged) in Guix instead.

I would very much prefer to have just one of ffmpeg/libav in Guix, for
all the reasons given above against code duplication.

     Thanks!
       Mark