guix-devel

Re: Guix binary tarball

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Guix binary tarball
Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 19:37:48 +0200

On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 07:14:04PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> What were the symptoms on your machine?  Did guix-build{,er} turn out
> to have different UID/GID?

We did not try it; our first aim was to get back to sshing into the machine
(luckily, we still had a terminal open somewhere). Maybe guix would have
worked.

> > As a consequence, we could not ssh into the machine any more
> > (!).
> I don’t see how this could happen.

Try "chown 30000.30001 $HOME". Then ssh into the machine asks for the
passphrase instead of using the public-private key pair.

> > Could these directories be left out of the tarball and only their
> > contents be kept in?
> No.  Maybe we can fix it by using two tar invocations with different
> --owner.

Well, you never know what permissions the directories have on the target
machine, and these are also changed. Maybe one needs to untar with particular
options.

Andreas