guix-devel

Re: Merging ‘HACKING’ in the manual?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Merging ‘HACKING’ in the manual?
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 21:58:10 +0200

> We should aim to blur the distinction between developers and users, and
> I think we have the right technical environment for that
> (“configuration” files that happen to actually be Scheme, “package
> recipes” that happen to be Scheme as well, etc.)  So I’m in favor of
> keeping the technical information all grouped together.

I agree.  Keeping it all together also encourages users to make use of
their software freedom to modify recipes, add their own and possibly
submit them upstream.

>> I don't have a strong opinion.  It might be a separate “Hacking” (or
>> whatever) section in the current manual or another “maint” info manual.
>> Both solutions look good to me.  I have a slight preference for the
>> first variant though.
>
> Yes, that’s also my current inclination.

I, too, would prefer to have it as a section in the current manual, but
that's primarily because I never remember where I can find the
information I'm looking for.  It's easier to have it in the same manual,
organised in an order that goes from casual user to contributor.

~~ Ricardo