guix-devel

Re: GSoC: Porting Guix to Hurd week 3+4 report.

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: GSoC: Porting Guix to Hurd week 3+4 report.
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 17:55:52 +0200

Hi!

On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 17:06:48 +0300, Manolis Ragkousis <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > [GCC build problem]

> I am attaching the complete build
> log and any related log.

Thanks, and I tried, but it's too cumbersome to handle that massive
amount of data in this way.  It'll be much easier if I can reproduce the
problem locally.

Shame on me, but I've never actively used/built Guix before.  I do know
about <https://github.com/Phant0mas/Guix-on-Hurd>, and that there must be
a Guix manual existing -- but can you help me get started, please?
(Pointers to specific parts of documentation are appreciated, of course.)

Is there a way to have the "Guix build process" create a shell script (or
some other "linearized log of command invocations")?  At this point, the
latter would be earier for me to debug (evem reproduce?), compared to
really "learning Guix" -- which I'll be happy to do (and have been
meaning to do for a looong time...), but then it's probably going to take
longer for me to really get started.

Alternatively/additionally, I'd also appreciate a high-level
(coarse-grained) overview about the steps you're executing right now.
(Maybe that already documented somewhere, or is obvious from the "Guix
build description files" -- which I have not yet looked at.)  That is,
something like: 1) install GNU Mach headers: configure [...] && make
install [...], 2) install Hurd headers: [...], 3) build minimal cross-GCC
configured with [...] options: [...], and so on.

> > Thanks for all the uneasy & frustrating work!
>
> You are welcome, I really enjoy working on it. :-).

Muahahaha!  ;-P The GNU toolchain can be a pain.  (Same for every other
non-trivial piece of software, heh...)  If you suffer through enough of
it, you might, one day, make an honest living out of what you've learned.
;-D

Grüße,
 Thomas