guix-devel

Re: guix environment

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: guix environment
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 09:14:21 +0200

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there a way guix could quickly print out the information it now gives after
> a successful package install:
>
> The following environment variable definitions may be needed:
>    export
> PATH="/home/pjotrp/.guix-profile/bin:/home/pjotrp/.guix-profile/sbin"
>    export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/home/pjotrp/.guix-profile/lib/pkgconfig"
>    export GUILE_LOAD_PATH="/home/pjotrp/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0"
>    export
> GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH="/home/pjotrp/.guix-profile/share/guile/site/2.0"
>    export CPATH="/home/pjotrp/.guix-profile/include"
>    export LIBRARY_PATH="/home/pjotrp/.guix-profile/lib"
>    export ACLOCAL_PATH="/home/pjotrp/.guix-profile/share/aclocal"
>    export LOCPATH="/home/pjotrp/.guix-profile/lib/locale"

"guix package --search-paths" should do that.  The only obstacle I see
in evaluating this automatically in profiles is that same variables are
not merged automatically, e.g. PYTHONPATH for different versions of
Python.

> Would it be OK to add some RUBY paths?

This is done on the package level.  LV2 audio plugins, for example,
suggest the LV2_PATH variable to be set.  For Ruby this could be done
by the build system.

~~ Ricardo