guix-devel

Re: Services and packages in GuixSD

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: Services and packages in GuixSD
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 09:13:39 +0800

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> There are a few services whose behavior depends on the set of installed
> packages or services, or which should depend on those sets.  For example
> with %desktop-services specified, udev should be adding rules for upower
> and colord, AFAIU.  Likewise for dbus: it would be nice if the set of
> selected packages and services were grovelled for dbus files.
>
> For example this is my current services definition:
>
> [...]
>
> I can't switch to use %base-services or %desktop-services because of the
> udev-service and dbus-service configurations.  That's the bug I'm trying
> to solve here.
>
> Would it be possible to allow services to grovel the set of installed
> packages and services to "finalize" their configuration?  We might have
> to take care to avoid service configuration depending on service
> configuration, but I reckon that's possible to take into account.
IIUC, the packages in profile need to be known by those services.
I think two ways can do this:
1. Build a configuration file for the service with packages listed explicitly.
2. Use a configuration file for the service with respect to profile.

Currently, most services go for 1 (eg: dbus, udev). And I don't know a
clear way to pass packages field to the monadic service procedure.

I did use 2 for slim, by using '/run/current-system/profile/share/xsessions'
in its configuration file.

How about go with 2 for dbus-service too?
By using '/run/current-system/profile/share/dbus-1/system-services' in
its configuration file.