guix-devel

Re: Why does glibc provide bash?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Why does glibc provide bash?
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 00:33:04 +0200

I’ve pushed an attempt for it in wip-core-updates, specifically this
commit:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=wip-core-updates&id=e0a33ce07b56111329575b0ccc90c9c314fbd221

The trick is simply to not copy the ‘bash’ binary to libc (not sure why
I didn’t do it this way from the start.)

Mark: WDYT?  I think it solves the problem at hand and it’s a reasonably
simple solution.

(The branch is called ‘wip-’ because the glibc upgrade happens to cause
troubles: since it has new locale category elements, the locale data is
incompatible with that older libcs expect, which means the bootstrap
binaries fail with an assertion failure when trying to load the new
locale data, like:

  xz: loadlocale.c:130: _nl_intern_locale_data: Assertion `cnt < (sizeof
(_nl_value_type_LC_COLLATE) / sizeof (_nl_value_type_LC_COLLATE[0]))' failed.

I’m looking for a fix a will otherwise postpone the upgrade.)

Ludo’.