guix-devel

Re: Dealing with common collisions in profiles

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: Dealing with common collisions in profiles
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 19:53:49 +0200

On Wed, Sep 9, 2015 at 10:53 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> You’ve probably noticed that as soon as there’s a non-negligible number
> of packages in a profile, there are collisions.  It’s really harmless,
> but seriously annoying.  Here’s a collection of those I get:
>
>   share/glib-2.0/schemas/gschemas.compiled
>   share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache
>   lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
>   lib/perl5/5.16.1/x86_64-linux/perllocal.pod
>
> Federico, I know ‘glib-or-gtk-build-system’ builds the first 3 items on
> purpose, but what do you think can be done about them?  At worst we
> could always change (guix build profiles) to not report collisions for
> those.

Hey Ludovic,

the first two are indeed generated by 'glib-or-gtk-build-system'. I
suppose we could add hooks to generate the caches at profile
generation time and remove the relative phases from the build system.

I'm not sure about the 3rd one, but probably the same approach would work.

Regards,
Fede