guix-devel

GuixSD and free hardware

From: Gammel Holte
Subject: GuixSD and free hardware
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 21:04:20 +0100

Hello everyone,

as a user, I've joined Guix due to technical reasons (functional package management in Scheme) and focus on freedom (linux-libre kernel, etc). I guess many people here share these values.

Freedom ultimately depends on the underlying hardware too. My goal is to do all my computing on devices that respect my freedom. Right now, this is mostly possible using rather old machines (e.g., MacBook 2,1 or Nokia N900) which bothers me a bit (hardware is slow and increasingly hard to buy).

I would like to draw your attention to new Rockchip ARM machines (e.g. Asus C201). These are very cheap, easy to reflash and can be run without any blobs (except 3D acceleration, unless the Lima driver gets finished). They don't even need CPU microcdes. Paul Kocialkowski (of Replicant fame) recently added Libreboot support to the C201 [1].

In my opinion, it'd be really nice to have GuixSD polished on this architecture, so that users can buy one and get things going with minimal effort. Sort of a few reference devices like what BSD does with some Thinkpads. If running linux-libre, and wishing to have libreboot as a bootloader, there are not that many choices.

There are also 2 devices (yet to be released) that might be fantastic to get GuixSD running on mobile phones: DragonBox Pyra [2] and Neo900 [3].

Cheers.

[1] http://www.libreboot.org/docs/hcl/c201.html
[2] https://boards.openpandora.org/pyramain/main/
[3] http://neo900.org/