guix-devel

Re: Some newbie questions

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Some newbie questions
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 22:30:39 +0100

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 10:11:11PM +0100, Adam Pribyl wrote:
> >Nothing really specific. I was just curious if it was possible. Now that I
> >think about it,
> >I should get the same result whether building myself or installing a
> >substitute,
> >right?
> Right. Thats what is going on here - binary same.

Well, that is assuming that the builds are deterministic - which is our goal,
but which is not guaranteed. If a binary encodes the build time, for example,
then different builds will yield different results.

> >The .links directory takes
> >over 2GiB on my machine and I wonder why.

If I remember correctly, these are just hard links into the store that serve
for deduplication. So the storage space used there does not matter, it just
counts files that are already in the store a second time.

Andreas