guix-devel

Re: [bug-womb] Texinfo markup in package blurbs

From: Brandon Invergo
Subject: Re: [bug-womb] Texinfo markup in package blurbs
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2015 09:38:51 +0000

Hi Ludovic,

> Guix has gained the possibility to have Texinfo markup in package
> descriptions¹, which is properly rendered by user interfaces and at
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/>.  Often we just limit
> ourselves to ornaments such as @dfn, @code, or @uref.
>
> Perhaps we could consider using it in pkgblurbs.txt if the needed for
> enriched text arises?

pkgblurbs.txt is also used in GSRC and for generating
https://gnu.org/manual/blurbs.html and the "featured package" blurb on
the gnu.org front page.  So with Make, we would have to strip the markup
while for the web we would have to convert it to HTML.  I guess we could
do an intermediate solution, like some m4 macros, to output the desired
format for each target, but that might be a bit over-engineered.  Ideas?

A more pertinent question: are there any blurbs in particular that you
think should have some text marked up?

-brandon