guix-devel

HI ... warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument

From: john francis lee
Subject: HI ... warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2015 15:26:15 +0700

Hi,

I'm installing guix on my debian jessie system and have gotten to where
I ought to be able to type 'guix', I think, but I get ...

address@hidden:/tmp$ guix
warning: failed to install locale: Invalid argument
guix: missing command name
Try `guix --help' for more information.

What locale can I need?

address@hidden:/tmp$ locale
LANG=en_US.utf8
LANGUAGE=en_US:en
LC_CTYPE="en_US.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_US.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_US.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.utf8"
LC_ALL=

I'm excited about guix. I really don't like the way the big linux
distributions are going ... systemd scares the hell out of me. I looked
at devuan, but you seem further along, and your changes seem more
radicle. I feel sure it's the NSA behind the changes in linux, they're
just up the road from red hat.

And the idea of a really free system - no blobs in the kernel - appeals
to me as well. The entire world is hostile now, and I trust no one.
Nobody but GNU, I guess :) I used to trust debian. So disheartening to
see old, revered friends go bad.

So I'd like this to work out. I tried gentoo ... but they are not very
friendly ... and a functional installation system sounds great ... a
real, serious solution to the problem.

So ... I'd like to get this running :) I watched ... Ludos? ... video at
Inria and he said there were friendly people here. I'd rather send this
sort of question to the user list ... but there is none.

In any case I hope you continue and clean up the mess that linux is fast
becoming. At least from my perspective.