guix-devel

Re: Adding operating-system field for a custom /etc/profile.

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Adding operating-system field for a custom /etc/profile.
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 12:10:51 +0300

Ludovic Courtès (2015-11-24 23:30 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:
[...]
>> But still I prefer to have a straightforward way to set my own
>> /etc/profile.  Or maybe it would be good to have even a more general
>> solution: a way to specify any file that goes to "/etc" dir, something
>> like this:
>>
>> (operating-system
>>   ;; ...
>>   (etc-files
>>    ("hosts"   (local-file "/home/me/guix/etc/hosts"))
>>    ("profile" (local-file "/home/me/guix/bash/my-favourite-etc-profile"))
>>    ("fstab"   (local-file "/home/me/guix/etc/fstab"))))
>
> Please take a look at ‘etc-service’.  It’s essentially what you describe.

Yes I know, I mean this is what I would like to have, but it can't be
used right now.  As ‘operating-system-etc-service’ is a part of
‘essential-services’, it cannot be modified/replaced, right?  I see that
now operating-system services are split into 'essential-services' and
'user-services'.  What about letting a user change any service instead?
I mean to make %essential-services and make it a part of %base-services.
(I didn't look in the details though, so I don't know if it's possible.)

>> Sorry, but this is not what I want.  I would like to have a full control
>> on any aspect of my system.
>
> I think you’re overreacting.  I feel bad because in spite of several
> attempts, I’m failing to get us to focus on concrete proposal to move
> forward.  I don’t know what to add.

I'm sorry for being so emotional; that's because I don't want to return
to "Arch Linux"!  I love GuixSD, but this is a potential blocker for me.
I just tried to explain that users may want to change/replace any
/etc/<file>, but they can't do it (this is essential for me, as I have a
sick wish to control everything).

Sorry, but your proposal is only a solution for this particular
--search-paths thing.  There are (and will be) other places in /etc
files that are not covered by 'operating-system' fields.  Ideally I
would like to have a possibility to override /etc/<file> if
'operating-system' does not allow me to change it the way I want.

--
Alex