guix-devel

Re: Contributor covenant

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
Subject: Re: Contributor covenant
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 21:22:39 +0100

Mathieu Lirzin <address@hidden> writes:

>> In commit e15fcdd, I added a ‘CODE-OF-CONDUCT’ file taken from
>> <http://contributor-covenant.org/>, which is essentially a way of
>> telling the lurkers out there: yes, we do our best to be welcoming and
>> we’re committed to doing so, so join us!  The address@hidden
>> address it mentions is currently an alias for address@hidden (though I’d
>> like it to become more than just me!).
>
> Since Guix has (in my experience) always be a nice place, I don't think
> this is necessary to have this.  As much goodwill is the intention of
> this code of conduct, the ideas behind it don't make consensus in Free
> Software communities which can lead into unnecessary divisions (and we
> have already a lot of them).  See:
>
>   http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=6918
>
> The problem is that this code of conduct pretends to give a warranty of
> an "harassment-free experience", which is is a slippery slope (Sorry to
> not be able to expand more on it in english).  IMHO it would be
> preferable to revert this commit, and let the necessary decisions be
> taken case by case when a bad behavior among Guix contributors arise.

ESR has some great technical contributions (most recent I know of being
moving Emacs to git), and social too (I owe him one for maintaining the
Hacker-Howto which was *the* document that initially got me into FLOSS,
Unix, etc.), but when it comes to "social justice" issues like sexism
and racism, I'm afraid his blog is not the best place to look...

Taylan

P.S.: if I were to go full-out on social ideology, I cannot recommend
Andrea Dworkin's books any more strongly.  There are free PDFs here:
<http://radfem.org/dworkin>.  /off-topic