guix-devel

Re: guixsd offline installation media

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guixsd offline installation media
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 23:41:43 +0100

Hi!

Dika Setya Prayogi <address@hidden> skribis:

> can we make an offline installation media for future guixsd ? because
> it is more reliable and easy to build in slow or problematic bandwith
> like in my town

The main difficulty is that the set of packages needed depends on what
the OS configuration file contains.

We could populate the installation media such that it contains
everything needed for the bare-bones.scm config, or for the desktop.scm
config (but it would be big!).

However, as soon as the user would choose a different config, they would
have to download different things, and perhaps those already in the
installation image would happen to be unnecessary.

Thoughts?

BTW, note that our current server at hydra.gnu.org performs very badly,
which explains the slow bandwidth (as well as the current fundraiser,
see <http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/donate/>.  :-)).

Ludo’.