guix-devel

Re: a bit curiousity

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: a bit curiousity
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 16:24:29 +0100

Dika Setya Prayogi <address@hidden> writes:

> 1.install two or multiple package with different version in single profile

You can ask Guix to install different versions of the same package (if
available) into a single profile, but when creating the new profile
generation Guix would resolve conflicts and you’d end up with just one
(possibly broken) version.  This is unavoidable when packages provide
files with identical (and thus conflicting) paths.

To install multiple versions simply use different profiles.  Any user
can have a virtually unlimited number of profiles.

> 2.set auto garbage collect for package old than one month

Garbage collection is not about age but about references.  If a package
is referenced in a profile (even if it’s not the latest generation of
the profile) it won’t be collected.  This is a feature.

To achieve garbage collection of old packages you would have to remove
all old profile generations (so that older packages are no longer
referenced), and also make sure that no “old” packages are referenced in
the current profile generation.  This essentially requires a forced
upgrade with deletion of older profile generations, which seems quite
unwise.  You’d throw away some of the best features of Guix, in my
opinion.

> 3.set garbage collet for package that have more than three version

I don’t know what this means.

~~ Ricardo