guix-devel

Re: Getting rid of build tools

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Getting rid of build tools
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 16:26:37 +0100

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 08:22:53AM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> > 3. Does dependencies on time stamps
> >
> > the last is a real problem on cluster builds, which becomes visible
> > with bioinformatics pipelines using make.
>
> Why is this a problem?
>
> Snakemake (like make but with Python syntax) is very popular here and
> often used for pipelines.

After trying we discarded snakemake for the same reason. The time
stamps are whole seconds. Cluster builds over NFS get confused and
unreliable. At least in our experience. I think the problem is that
the granularity of a second is too low, combined with the NFS/time
synchronization of machines.

Anyway, time stamps also really don't tell you whether a file is
complete or not.

Pj.