guix-devel

Re: The tricky case of "--localstatedir=/var"

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: The tricky case of "--localstatedir=/var"
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 17:50:31 +0000

I see. Please indulge my curiosity. You said that you "compile Guix from source instead of using the official
binaries, then install Guix so it's managed by Guix." Do you do this on GuixSD, or on a foreign distribution? Do you mean that you first compile and install Guix somewhere on your system, and then run "guix package -i guix" to install the Guix package into the Guix store? Assuming that's what you do, which guix-daemon winds up running - the one you installed originally, or the one you installed into the store? I understand why it's nice to have the Guix package so that you can easily work with its dependencies, but isn't "guix pull" the recommended way to keep your Guix installation up to date?