guix-devel

Re: Guix on Debian (was: GSoC ideas)

From: Diane Trout
Subject: Re: Guix on Debian (was: GSoC ideas)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 17:27:03 -0800

On Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:30:47 PM Efraim Flashner wrote:

> Another option would be to include in the pre/post install script to add
> the repo if it's not already there. I know some third party repos delete
> and recreate their files, my `tor+http` setting keeps on getting
> overwritten.

I know some packages automatically install repository keys, I don't really
like it.

> I haven't looked too closely at the code yet, so appologies if you've
> already taken care of it. In the guix manual it says not to install the
> binary installer over an existing install, does the deb you've created
> make sure to not do that?

No. Other than the basic checks from dpkg where it will complain if it tries
to overwrite a file.

This package is somewhat inferior to the binary installation instructions as
it currently stands the guix scheme libraries go into
/usr/share/guile/site/2.0/guix.

I discovered this causes trouble by trying to use a guix git tree I'd
compiled. That didn't work right until after I'd rebuilt it with:
$ guix environment guix
$ ./bootstrap ; ./configure --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var

I'm wondering if the debian build script should build guix, then and then do

$ guix package --no-substitutes -i guix

And install what ended up in /gnu/store

However I haven't checked to see if there's a way to start the guix-daemon in
temporary location. The Debian build utilities assume it can cause things to
be built in a subdirectory of the source tree by manipulating environment
variables.

Diane