guix-devel

Re: guix pull is shafted

From: Jookia
Subject: Re: guix pull is shafted
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2016 00:46:42 +1100

On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 01:28:11PM +0100, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> Thanks for that! Saved my day. Nice to understand what is happening
> too.
>
> On Sat, Mar 05, 2016 at 12:08:38PM +0100, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> > “guix pull” just updates “~/.config/guix/latest” to point to a recent
> > version of Guix in the store.  If you have a git checkout (at a commit
> > before the one that broke things) you could point
> > “~/.config/guix/latest” to that directory.
> >
> > I don’t think the needed code is in place for “guix pull” to be undone
> > in a more user-friendly fashion.
> >
> > ~~ Ricardo

Just jumping in to this thread, I've helped two people in IRC run 'guix pull'
with a working git tarball I found. Perhaps some code should be added to pull
the latest build that's been built on Hydra?

In the end it'd still be great to have rollbacks, the ability to specify a git
commit, ping Hydra to see which commits have substitutes that I could upgrade
to, and allow rolling back as if it's a package in my profile.

It sounds like a lot, but I figure at least one of those ideas would ease
things for people.

Jookia.