guix-devel

Re: should gnome-desktop-service really provide all of this to a profile

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: should gnome-desktop-service really provide all of this to a profile?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2016 09:48:20 +0100

On Mon 07 Mar 2016 22:11, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I installed gnome using
>>
>>   guix package --profile=/tmp/foo-profile -i gnome
>>
>> There is a lot of stuff there.  If gnome-desktop-service extends
>> profile-service-type with gnome, will that not "pollute" a lot of
>> profiles?  Attached is a listing of that profile.
>
> Good point, this sounds undesirable (and shows that some packages would
> benefit from separate outputs—e.g., “doc” output for xcb.)
>
> What exactly is required?  Would it work to change the ‘gnome’
> meta-package to union only the bin/ sub-directories instead of
> everything?

I do not know.  What I would want would be just the binaries and
anything needed in share/.  It would be great if there were no
development-related files there, as that's the only area where I care
about "purity" or "pollution".  Something seems to be propagating
libraries into the profile.  I will punt on the issue though; I think
it's a problem with one of the gnome packages and not the service.

Andy