guix-devel

Re: GNOME!

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GNOME!
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 21:31:00 +0100

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 07:51:24PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> There are details to smooth out, such as having the right fonts
>> installed by default.  When I logged in, I got not-so-nice fonts in the
>> top-level bar, including squares here and there:
>
> I have the same issues with the squares (in the clock). Any advice?

I’m happy to say this is now fixed.  :-)

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/screenshots/0.9.1/gnome-totem-epiphany.png

The relevant commits are:

  e71ef7a * system: Make sure fonts are searched for in the system profile.
  0bd3597 * gnu: gnome: Add dependency on font-abattis-cantarell.
  4e8b750 * system: Allow account skeletons to be directories.
  71be99b * gnu: Add font-abattis-cantarell.

Turns out gnome-shell.css refers to Cantarell, the font specifically
designed for GNOME 3.  Furthermore, our Fontconfig package does not look
for fonts in the system profile, which e71ef7a works around.

Ludo’.