guix-devel

Re: GSOC 2016 Application

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: GSOC 2016 Application
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 16:11:49 -0400

address@hidden writes:

> Hi all,
>
> My name is Dylan, and I am a Swarthmore College student interested in
> working with Guix this summer! Attached is my proposal to help develop
> an installation wizard for GuixSD. Please let me know if there are any
> questions or comments.
>
> I am also interested in applying to work on 8sync/adding an extensible
> event loop to GNU Shepard. I will add that proposal soon!
>
> Best,
> Dylan

Hey Dylan, this is a very cool proposal.

You said, "Although a good techie should not judge a distro by its
installer wizard, first impressions do matter. A smooth install is
satisfying, which helps establish a good relationship with new users
right away."

I could not agree more!

Reading your proposal and another on installation prompted me to write
some general thoughts about Guix installation which you might find
interesting:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.guix.devel/18206

Good luck - George