guix-devel

Re: GSoC ideas

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: GSoC ideas
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 16:52:44 -0400

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry, I was unclear.  What I'm talking about is Guix *as a package
> manager* to be able to be available on foreigh distros so I can
> encourage friends to do:
>
>   apt-get install guix
>
> ... and then do user-space hacking with Guix, and use "guix environment"
> for hacking on my projects...  I think we'd increase our userbase
> dramatically by getting Guix as a user-space pacakge manager into
> various distros.

I strongly agree with this. To my mind this is the key selling point of
Guix and we need to make it easy to experience this.

But you know, given how well the Guix Binary install + a lame makefile
has worked to install/uninstall on my Debian servers, and the way Guix
kind of includes it's own world, I'm not so sure a .deb package
necessary.

> The gexp part was because of the gexp that (iirc) generates the "tarball
> install" method of things as inspiration... could we build something
> similar that builds a .deb or .rpm of Guix as an install method?
>
>  - Chris

Maybe a downloadable install package that does a binary install and is
routinely verified to run on 3 or 4 popular distros is just as good and
has more band for the buck.

Anyway, reading your comments and a couple other recent GSoC GuixSD
installer proposals prompted me to write some general thoughts about
Guix installation which you might find interesting:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg01024.html

Best - George