guix-devel

Re: Warning: Don't install guile-next!

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Warning: Don't install guile-next!
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 19:05:53 +0200

address@hidden skribis:

> There is a problem on GuixSD: if you install the guile-next package,
> log out, log in again then the 'guix' tool is broken. Crashes with
> some ELF read error.

Indeed.  :-/

Jan reported it at
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg00720.html>,
proposed a patch at
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg00945.html>,
and is discussing a solution upstream (in Guile itself):
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-devel/2016-03/msg00000.html>.

We’re getting there!

> I think this is related to the shadowing issue raised here
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-03/msg01123.html>.

No, as discussed on IRC, this has to do with the fact that
GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH contains .go files for both Guile 2.2 and 2.0,
and each Guile barfs when it stumbles upon the other version’s object
files.

Sorry for the inconvenience, and thanks for the heads-up!

Ludo’.