guix-devel

Re: NEWS for 0.10.0

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
Subject: Re: NEWS for 0.10.0
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 10:52:26 +0200

Rastus Vernon <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 2016-03-27 at 23:38 +0200, Mathieu Lirzin wrote:
>
>> I think it would be reasonable to integrate this news in the current
>> scheme by not making it top level.  What about moving this news in a
>> category "Contribution" or "Community"?
>>
>> While speaking about code of conducts I have found sometimes ago an
>> alternative version which achieves the same expected effect as the
>> current one but in a more consensual way:
>>
>>   https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Foundation/CodeOfConduct?action=
>> show&redirect=CodeOfConduct
>>
>> Even if I know I belong to the minority who disagree with the
>> “Contributor Covenant” ideas, I think GNOME code of conduct would fit
>> better in Guix because it will not associate GNU with a movement
>> using
>> the term “Open Source” and promoting Github usage.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Yes, the Contributor Covenant does not fit the GNU project's ideals
> very well. It is also my opinion that it is too political. I think we
> want a code of conduct which ensures we have a nice community, not one
> that makes us take political stances not related to free software.
>
> I like the GNOME Code Of Conduct, but also want to suggest the Debian
> Code of Conduct[1], which is more detailed, not political and fits this
> project very well since Debian has similar ideas to ours on free
> software (at least more than the Contributor Covenant), and is a
> distribution like GuixSD.
>
> The current code of conduct hasn't been there for long and changing it
> wouldn't cost anything. :)
>
> [1]: https://www.debian.org/code_of_conduct

I much prefer the current COC to both that of GNOME and Debian.

I think trying to be apolitical is naive.  In practice it boils down to
accepting the status quo.  In an unjust society, some injustices appear
normal, therefore dissent against them is seen as more "political" than
the tolerance of those injustices, even though tolerating injustices is
surely a political move.

Speaking of sexism, racism, etc. specifically is honest, if we agree
that these are problems.  Actively refusing to speak of them amounts to
implying that these problems don't exist, which --if they exist-- is a
way to actively protect them.  I hope we can all agree that these
problems exist.

Taylan