guix-devel

Re: MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free software

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: MAME emulator is giving incentive to use non-free software
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 22:25:48 +0200

Hi!

Thanks Chris for the thoughtful comments and insightful examples!

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:

> I think this is a really bad path to go down.  I hope we don't go down
> it.  Let's condemn proprietary software, but not make assumptions that
> free software systems will only be used for proprietary purposes.  We
> might make that into a self-fulfilling prophecy, and prevent some future
> interesting free work.  I think that would be a shame.

Based on what you said, I agree with you.

So I think the course of action would now be to:

  1. Include MAME, possibly under a different name as on Parabola if
     there’s a trademark issue, and removing the non-free files that I
     think someone mentioned somewhere (?).

  2. Keep the Nintendo® emulators, following whatever the best practice
     is in other FSDG distros with regards to mention of the brand in
     the description and synopsis.

Thank you people!  :-)

Ludo’.