guix-devel

Re: [Patch] gst-plugins-base

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: [Patch] gst-plugins-base
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:17:42 -0400

Efraim Flashner <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 05:57:24PM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > Here's one way to do it:
>> >
>> >     (inputs
>> >      `(("cdparanoia" ,cdparanoia)
>> >        ,@(if (any (cute string-prefix? <> (or (%current-target-system)
>> >                                               (%current-system)))
>> >                   '("arm" "mips"))
>
> 64-bit Arm is Aarch64 and not arm64, so this probably won't capture
> 64-bit Arm if/when we start to support it.

We shouldn't assume that the same problem will occur on Aarch64.
I'd prefer to wait and see.

> It turns out I didn't search gstreamer.scm well enough, so if this patch
> looks good then I'll copy the syntax over to the other packages in
> gstreamer and make patches for them too.
>
> address@hidden:~/workspace/guix$ grep \(\"orc\"\ \,orc\)
> gnu/packages/*scm
> gnu/packages/gstreamer.scm:           `(("orc" ,orc)))
> gnu/packages/gstreamer.scm:       ("orc" ,orc)
> gnu/packages/gstreamer.scm:       ("orc" ,orc)
> gnu/packages/gstreamer.scm:       ("orc" ,orc)))
> gnu/packages/gstreamer.scm:       ("orc" ,orc)

To be honest, I'm having second thoughts about this entire approach.

My concern is that without orc, the codec implementations (especially
the video codecs) might be so slow as to be practically unusable.  I'm
reluctant to apply this workaround too broadly until we know whether it
results in anything good.  Really, we should be trying to investigate
and fix the underlying problems instead of sweeping them under the rug.

     Thoughts?
       Mark