guix-devel

Re: Commit 958dd3ce68 will break emacs interface after "guix pull"

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Commit 958dd3ce68 will break emacs interface after "guix pull"
Date: Fri, 06 May 2016 12:36:04 +0200

Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

> Hello Ludo, this is not related to system tests, but in this patchset
> you also moved 'memoize' to (guix combinators).  In commit 86670ca4b7 I
> adjusted emacs interface to use it.

Ooops, sorry for the breakage.  I guess I don’t master ‘grep’ yet.  ;-)

> However, it is not enough (see [1]): currently, if a user does "guix
> pull", (s)he gets the recent guile code with the new (guix combinators)
> module, but the emacs stuff is still old as it comes with the
> development snapshot.
>
> So in this case emacs interface will not work (complaining about unbound
> 'memoize' variable).

Indeed.

> So I think it's the time to update guix-devel package.  Is it OK to do
> it now?

Yes, we could do that, but the problem remains on foreign distros
though.

What about simply #:re-export (memoize) in (guix utils) for now?

> In general, it is not perfect that "guix pull" updates only guile
> modules, and not emacs interface.  I recall there were similar (but much
> smaller) breakages when emacs stuff and guile code (from
> "~/.config/guix/latest") were out of sync.

Yes, that’s definitely one of the shortcomings we should address:

Thanks for the report!

Ludo’.