guix-devel

Re: feedback as solicited by Guix manual (Section 7.1.5)

From: Matthew Jordan
Subject: Re: feedback as solicited by Guix manual (Section 7.1.5)
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 12:31:16 -0400

Good Day Leo Famulari and everyone,

Since this topic came up I just thought I provide some info and ask some
questions too.

What follows are the steps I took to setup my GuixSD box.  What I'm
wondering is how would I go about contributing this in some way to the
documentation? With some modification of course.

I copied these from my raw notes, I made when was first setting up
GuixSD.  I also have a snippet somewhere about setting up a Libvirt Qemu
VM too.

I am just presenting this cause I had to look around a lot, such as the
Gentoo Installation Manual, and Arch Linux manuals in addition to the
Parted and Guix Manuals when I attempted my first install.  Just thought
it would be a good idea to perhaps have some solid example/steps in the
Guix Manual for the installation.

$ ip link show
$ ip link set ens3 up
$ dhclient -v ens3
$ ping -c 4 gnu.org

Paritioning plan
Assumming disk is 20GiB
Bootloader 2MiB
/boot 300MiB ext2/4
Swap 1GiB
/ (rest of disk space) ext4

$ lsblk
Start parted shell
$ parted -a optimal /dev/sda
(parted) unit MiB
(parted) mklabel gpt
(parted) mkpart primary 1MiB 3MiB
(parted) name 1 grub
(parted) set 1 bios_grub on
(parted) print
(parted) mkpart primary 3MiB 303MiB
(parted) name 2 boot
(parted) print

Calculation on host with zsh shell
$ ((mib = 1 * (1024 ** 1)))
$ print ${mib}
1024
$ print $((mib + 303))
1327

(parted) mkpart primary 303MiB 1327MiB
(parted) name 3 swap
(parted) print
(parted) mkpart primary 1327MiB -1
(parted) name 4 root
(parted) set 2 boot on
(parted) print
(parted) quit

$ lsblk
$ mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda2
$ mkswap /dev/sda3
$ mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda4
$ lsblk -f

$ lsblk
$ mount /dev/sda4 /mnt
$ mkdir /mnt/boot
$ mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/boot
$ df -hT

$ herd start cow-store /mnt
$ mkdir /mnt/etc
$ ls /etc/configuration # optional
$ cp /etc/configuration/bare-bones.scm /mnt/etc/config.scm
$ zile /mnt/etc/config.scm

$ mount --bind /mnt/tmp /tmp
$ swapon /dev/sda3
$ guix system init /mnt/etc/config.scm /mnt
$ umount /tmp
$ swapoff /dev/sd3
$ shutdown

Cheers,