guix-devel

Re: feedback as solicited by Guix manual (Section 7.1.5)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: feedback as solicited by Guix manual (Section 7.1.5)
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 10:00:48 +0200

Matthew Jordan <address@hidden> skribis:

>> I’ve come to think that ‘cfdisk’ is easier than Parted’s CLI.  WDYT?
>>
>> Rather than listing this relatively long list of Parted commands,
>> perhaps we should provide a tool akin to what Debian’s installer has,
>> where it offers “standard” partitioning profiles that people can use.
>> This could be implemented using the Guile bindings of GNUfdisk or
>> something like that.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> This sounds like a decent idea!  If it's CLI tool that would be helpful
> in automated installs.

I think automated installs are better served by what we have today.

What I had in mind was an interactive tool.

> And speaking of automated installs, would it be possible to add
> lsh/openssh and wget to the USB install image?

Once you’ve booted the installation image, you can run:

  guix package -i wget openssh

We could add, say, wget to the standard set of packages in (gnu system
install), but we’d need to make sure it doesn’t take too much extra
space.

> Would be great if there was an ISO image as well.

This has been asked many times, so surely we’ll end up doing that one
day or another.  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.