guix-devel

Re: Install gpg2 as gpg

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Install gpg2 as gpg
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 09:52:46 +0200

Hello,

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 05:07:08PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 08:24:23PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> > What if we patched gpg-1 to not colide with gpg-2?
> >
> > For example, move gpg and gpgv and man pages of them
> > for gpg-1 to something which has -1 in its name.
> > On the other hand this would have to be consistent and be followed
> > straigth to not colide again. I'm not sure if this
> > approach will work out in the long run.
>
> Unless this is a configuration option supported by upstream GnuPG, I
> don't want to do that. For the same reason, my patch does not affect
> gnupg-2.0.

I agree with this argument - one of our principles is to mess as little
as possible with upstream packages. In this case, since there is a special
configuration option for gnupg-2, we may use it, but then we would have
to pay the price that both gnupg-1 (or gnupg-2.0) and gnupg-2.1 could not
be installed together any more. Maybe it would then be consistent to drop
gnupg-2.0 from the distribution.

Finally I managed to make gnupg-2.1 work together with mutt, but it was
not completely straightforward... So we should document the change if we
make it.

By the way, should we maybe make pinentry a propagated input of gnupg-2.1?
If I understand correctly, gnupg-2.1 will not work without it (and mixing
pinentry from Debian with gnupg-2.1 from Guix was one of the reasons for
gnupg not working at first).

Andreas