guix-devel

Re: Install gpg2 as gpg

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Install gpg2 as gpg
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 17:54:43 +0200

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:02:58AM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
> All three GnuPG branches (1.4, 2.0, 2.1) are actively maintained. Why
> drop 2.0?

If we start "deprecating" gnupg-1 by calling the gnupg-2 binary "gpg" instead
of "gpg2", then we may as well drop the middle branch. Everything else would
be somewhat confusing, and I do not think we should burden ourselves with
going down the route of patching gnupg-2.0, so that it behaves like gnupg-2.1
in that its binaries look as if they were from gnupg-1 ;-)

Moreover, practically speaking, my impression was that for its ease of use,
there was a point in keeping gnupg-1, why there was less reason for sticking
with 2.0 instead of 2.1.

Andreas