guix-devel

Re: guix revisions

From: ng0
Subject: Re: guix revisions
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2016 16:16:48 +0000

Leo Famulari <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 10, 2016 at 02:06:44PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
>> A side question: We do guix revisions of packages? I know we had
>> a discussion on this in the past which included the string-take
>> commit 7 or 8, but even with using grep in the gnu/packages dir
>> it's not obvious as egrep -nr 'revision "1"'
>> for example just gives 5 results.
>> So the documentation needs to be improved, I agree.
>
> Without using a revision integer, `guix package --upgrade` will not work
> correctly, since Git hashes do not increase (or decrease) reliably.
>
> For example, the computer can't tell which of these two version strings
> is the newer version:
>
> "0.0.0-deadbeef"
> "0.0.0-cabba9e"
>
> Not all packages declare a revision variable, but I think it is helpful.
>
> Any suggestions on improving this part of the manual? It *does*
> explicity describe this problem and the solution. Should we add the
> revision variable to the code example?

Thanks for pointing this out. In future updates of source
checkout software I contributed I'll include the revision and
update it.

You are right that 7.6.3 Version Numbers includes the entire
picture of how it is to be done, but as practice shows the
language or representation is not clear.
I'll try to come up with a fix for that part today.

--
♥Ⓐ  ng0
For non-prism friendly talk find me on http://www.psyced.org