guix-devel

Re: Guix-devel Digest, Vol 37, Issue 133

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Guix-devel Digest, Vol 37, Issue 133
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:23:32 -0400

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 03:42:52PM +0200, David Craven wrote:
> 1. A lint warning is just that a warning. I think in most cases there
> is no reason
> not sort them alphabetically.
>
> 2. The ordering may seem logical to the person who wrote the package
> initially,
> but then the next person comes along and modifies it. Over time we get a mess
> and whatever structure the initial author had in mind has disappeared.

For example, if there are some unusual native-inputs, it's nice to add a
comment exlaining what they are for. So, we end up with things like
this:

    (native-inputs
     `(("python2-nose" ,python2-nose)
       ("python2-mock" ,python2-mock)
       ;; For documentation
       ("python2-sphinx" ,python2-sphinx)
       ("python2-sphinx-rtd-theme" ,python2-sphinx-rtd-theme)
       ("python2-sphinx-repoze-autointerface"
,python2-sphinx-repoze-autointerface)
       ("python2-sphinxcontrib-programoutput"
,python2-sphinxcontrib-programoutput)
       ("texinfo" ,texinfo)))

I think that's a case where the knowledge embodied by the comments and
ordering is worth more than sorting alphabetically.