guix-devel

Ricardo Wurmus appointed co-maintainer

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Ricardo Wurmus appointed co-maintainer
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 12:27:01 +0200

Hello Guix!

I’m happy to announce that Ricardo Wurmus has just been appointed by the
GNU overseers to join me as co-maintainer of GNU Guix.

Ricardo is a long-time free software activist and has been making
significant contributions to Guix for the most part of its young history
in terms of code, reviews, and talks.  He has deployed Guix on the
bioinformatics clusters of his workplace and trained his co-workers.  He
undoubtedly has all the technical and social skills I would expect for
the job.  Please welcome him warmly!  :-)

I don’t like to think in terms of titles, and it’s important to me that
everyone can contribute to every aspect of the project in their
capacity, and that decision-making remains consensus-based.  So I asked
myself what it means to have a maintainer hat.  I think it boils down to
three duties: safeguarding the project (making sure we remain true to
our goals, ensure our code of conduct is honored and GNU policies are
followed), giving a direction and providing guidance (paying attention
to the release schedule, not losing track of priorities, being “present”
and aware of ongoing developments), and overseeing the infrastructure
and administrative things (build farm, FTP uploads, mailing list admin,
etc.)  Anyone can work on these tasks, but presumably maintainers have
“the big picture”.

Thank you for joining, Ricardo!

Ludo’.