guix-devel

Re: Rust

From: Alex Griffin
Subject: Re: Rust
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2016 10:34:22 -0500

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016, at 10:16 AM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Do you know what’s Rust’s bootstrapping story is?  Can we reasonably
> expect to bootstrap it from source, using a series of previous Rust
> versions, or using an alternative implementation?

Yes, Rust 1.10 builds with the previous stable release (1.9) for the
first time. So we will only need one binary to bootstrap Rust. Although
this will quickly require a long chain of builds because Rust releases
every 6 weeks and 1.11 is only guaranteed to build with 1.10, etc.

So after only two years we may need to compile like 17 different
releases to get the current version.
--
Alex Griffin