guix-devel

Re: [PACKAGE] musl libc

From: Vincent Legoll
Subject: Re: [PACKAGE] musl libc
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 22:18:13 +0200

> It’s fine to put it in a separate file “gnu/packages/musl.scm” and add
> it to the list of modules in “gnu/local.mk”.
>
> What follows is a short review with some comments.
>
>> (synopsis "New C standard library to power a new generation of
>> Linux-based devices")
>
> I would change it to just “Small C standard library”.  What do you
> think?

As you wish I just copied it from upstream web site...

>>     (description "The musl libc is lightweight, fast, simple, free, and
>> strives
>> to be correct in the sense of standards-conformance and safety.")
>
> How about this instead?
>
>     “musl is a simple and lightweight C standard library.  It strives to
>      be correct in the sense of standards-conformance and safety.”
>
> “fast” is a bit of a loaded term, so we often avoid it.  Since all
> packages in Guix are “free” we usually drop this term from descriptions.

Ditto

>>     (home-page "http://www.musl-libc.org";)
>>     (license (x11-style "file://COPYRIGHT"))))
>
> This looks good.  If you agree, I’ll copy the changes and make a commit
> with you as the author.
>
> Normally, contributors send changes as patches to the mailing list.  For
> future contributions it might be helpful to take a look at the
> “Contributing” section in the manual:

Yes, I just wanted feedback in order to make a real patch submission afterwards,
and thought it would be more readable as is, and I didn't know in
which file to put
it anyways... But if you want to do it, go ahead...

>     https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Contributing.html
>
> This essentially describes how to get started with Guix from a git
> clone, generate patches with “git format-patch” and how to send them via
> email.  If anything in there is confusing to you please let us know and
> we’ll try to help.

This is clear enough

>  You’re also welcome to visit the #guix IRC channel
> on Freenode for discussions or questions.

Yep, even if I'm not a big fan of irc, I already came to this channel
a few times

Thanks

--
Vincent Legoll