guix-devel

Re: ‘core-updates’ merge is a squashed commit

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: ‘core-updates’ merge is a squashed commit
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 16:10:16 +0200

On Thu, Aug 04, 2016 at 09:23:50AM -0400, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> I just did this.  Huge thanks to Lisa Marie Maginnis, GNU sysadmin
> extraordinaire, for promptly responding to my plea for help :)

Thanks to both of you!

> However, we should take steps to avoid this problem in the future.  The
> most recent unsigned commit on 'core-updates' was from only 3 days ago,
> by Andreas.  "gnu: unison: Add input ghostscript".  I'm fairly sure this
> was after we added the commit hook, so I guess the hook only applies to
> 'master'.
> So, if I understand correctly, we're currently in a state where unsigned
> commits can accidentally get pushed to other branches, making those
> branches unmergeable into 'master'.

Sorry for that! I did not think it would be possible, and working locally
without signing every private commit is much more convenient.

Indeed, I just pushed an unsigned commit to a new branch, and it worked.

This is strange: The update hook should work with any branch, and not
only master. Maybe it is the way it has been set up at savannah?

Andreas