guix-devel

Re: Graph an operating-system derivation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Graph an operating-system derivation
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2016 16:33:02 +0200

Howdy!

David Craven <address@hidden> skribis:

> I'm trying to view the graph of an entire operating-system. I don't
> know yet if it's too complicated to actually produce something useful
> :)
>
> This is what I tried:
>
> guix graph -e '((@ (gnu system) operating-system-derivation) ((@ (guix
> scripts system) read-operating-system)
> "gnu/system/examples/bare-bones.tmpl"))'
>
> But it fails with "doesn't evaluate to a package". Is there a simple
> way to do this / a feature that's generally useful?

You can graph the OS derivation like this:

  guix graph -t derivation $(guix system build -d config.scm)

‘dot’ takes ages to process it and the result is too big to be of any
use (it might be less bad with use an interactive graph navigation tool
like Tulip).

Otherwise there’s also ‘guix system {extension,shepherd}-graph’.

What info would you like to see on the graph?

Ludo’.