guix-devel

Re: User-profile search paths should include system-profile directories

From: Carlos Sánchez de La Lama
Subject: Re: User-profile search paths should include system-profile directories
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 09:39:23 +0200

Hi,

>> Is this the intended behaviour? I am wondering whether packages with
>> search paths should include both the user-profile directories and the
>> system-profile ones.
>
> I think you’re right.  This was discussed at
> <http://bugs.gnu.org/20255>, leading to a patch (for GuixSD).
>
> However, we failed to build consensus around the approach of this patch,
> so we did not apply it.  If you have ideas, please email
> address@hidden  :-)

what about something like:

- /etc/profile
  # [...]
  GUIX_PROFILES="/run/current-system/profile:$HOME/.guix-profile"
  . /run/current-system/profile/etc/profile
  # [...]
  . "$HOME/.guix-profile/etc/profile"
  # [...]

- /run/current-system/profile/etc/profile
  profiles="${GUIX_PROFILES:=/gnu/store/<hashA>-profile}"
  export PATH="${profiles//:/\/bin}/bin ${profiles//:/\/sbin}/sbin"
  # [...]

- $HOME/.guix-profile/etc/profile
  profiles="${GUIX_PROFILES:=/gnu/store/<hashB>-profile}"
  export ACLOCAL_PATH="${profiles//:/\/share/aclocal}/share/aclocal"
  # [...]

That is, each profile adds all its search paths to all the profile roots
passed in the colon separated variable GUIX_PROFILES. If GUIX_PROFILES
is empty, it adds the search paths inside its own directory only (as
until now).

No need to expand recursively (no ":$OLD_VALUE" at then end of each
assignment) as we are generating the profile, user additions will come
later. Should be fast enough, and a user can do the (slower) guix
--search-paths in its own profile if he wants to.

If you think it's fine, I will prepare a patch.

Thoughts?

Carlos