guix-devel

Re: texmaker, Qt and Chromium

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: texmaker, Qt and Chromium
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 23:18:05 +0300

On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 09:17:30PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Hi Guix,
>
> our build of the “texmaker” package is broken ever since we disabled the
> webkit module of our Qt package.  I’m currently looking into packaging
> up the needed Qt modules, but the obvious question remains: do we want
> this?  “qtwebengine” not only bundles chromium, chromium itself also
> bundles a whole bunch of other stuff.
>
> Personally, I think it’s acceptable to package “qtwebengine” because
> ultimately it’s up to the Qt and Chromium developers to keep their
> software secure — and it’s up to the developers of software like
> Texmaker to choose their dependencies wisely.  As long as we keep
> Chromium out of our default “qt” package, thereby preventing it from
> being installed for every Qt application, I think we’re good.
>
> What do you think?  The alternative is to drop Texmaker and all the
> other packages that depend on Chromium as distributed by Qt.
>
> ~~ Ricardo

AFAIK Chromium doesn't modify any of its bundled software. Would it make
sense to create a chromium-source package that replaces the bundled
sources with our sources, allowing us to keep the chromium source and
the bundled source up-to-date. Then we could use this new
'chromium-source' package as a replacement source for
chromium/inox/qtwebengine?

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר