guix-devel

Re: Adding rottlog service in ‘%base-services’?

From: David Craven
Subject: Re: Adding rottlog service in ‘%base-services’?
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2016 07:52:58 +0200

> Not sure I understand the problem.  ‘mcron-jobs’ wouldn’t collide with
> anything else AFAICS, and it would be clearer than just ‘jobs’ no?

What I mean is that mcron-jobs assumes that the mcron-service is used.
Calling it something general like jobs or cron-jobs wouldn't require
renaming, if someone wants to use a different cron implementation. For
example in an embedded system someone might prefer to use the
busybox/toybox cron implementation. I'm not sure what other job time
scheduling solutions exist. But a job is something that needs to run
at specific times and has a bounded run time. I don't know how cron
specific this feature is, or if the name of the job scheduler it's
relevant as part of an operating-system declaration.