guix-devel

Re: Adding rottlog service in ‘%base-services’?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Adding rottlog service in ‘%base-services’?
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2016 23:02:11 +0200

David Craven <address@hidden> skribis:

>> Not sure I understand the problem.  ‘mcron-jobs’ wouldn’t collide with
>> anything else AFAICS, and it would be clearer than just ‘jobs’ no?
>
> What I mean is that mcron-jobs assumes that the mcron-service is used.
> Calling it something general like jobs or cron-jobs wouldn't require
> renaming, if someone wants to use a different cron implementation. For
> example in an embedded system someone might prefer to use the
> busybox/toybox cron implementation. I'm not sure what other job time
> scheduling solutions exist. But a job is something that needs to run
> at specific times and has a bounded run time. I don't know how cron
> specific this feature is, or if the name of the job scheduler it's
> relevant as part of an operating-system declaration.

Oh, I see.  The mcron jobs that we define in GuixSD directly use mcron’s
Scheme API; IOW, we don’t provide any abstraction over what mcron
provides.  Thus it would be really hard to retarget such job specs to
tools other than mcron.

For this reason I think we should keep the ‘mcron-’ prefix here.

Does it make sense?

(The situation is comparable to that of Shepherd services.)

Ludo’.