guix-devel

Re: [cfe-dev] [RFC] Reliable compiler specification setting (at least in

From: Will Dietz
Subject: Re: [cfe-dev] [RFC] Reliable compiler specification setting (at least include/lib dirs) through the process environment
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2016 17:11:59 +0000

Yes! I'm very interested in this as well!

One piece of information to add: it might be worth investigating something
more general like the configuration files used by ELLCC in controlling their cross-compilers.

This was somewhat recently discussed here:

http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2015-July/087907.html

And looks like the most recent description of it is here:

http://ellcc.org/blog/?p=13246

This would be rather useful in Nix for creating cross-compilers as well.

AFAIK this isn't immediately suited to your needs but I think that it's the right direction to go
and it'd be ideal to support both use-cases if we are talking about upstream support.

~Will

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 8:46 AM Nathan Froyd via cfe-dev <address@hidden> wrote:
On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 8:59 AM, Ludovic Courtès via cfe-dev
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Shea Levy <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Your patches look good! My biggest concern is how the ld wrapper behaves
>> in the presence of response files. Have you tested that?
>
> It surely doesn’t (yet?).
>
> However, GCC does not pass address@hidden arguments when it invokes ‘ld’, and
> the bug report you mentioned¹ talks about GHC invoking ‘gcc’, not ‘ld’,
> so I guess it’s fine to ignore response files in the ld wrapper.

GCC will pass response files to ld when response files were used in
the invocation of GCC.

-Nathan