guix-devel

Re: [herd] Have status display services as a bulleted list.

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [herd] Have status display services as a bulleted list.
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 22:55:08 -0600

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I don't know about you, but I am totally unable to read the
>> "herd status" line as it exists in the current state.  I mean, I love
>> sexps, but even I don't like a completely flat and ungreppable list
>> printed to stdout.
>
> Agreed!
>
>> *** New output ***
>>
>> address@hidden:~/devel/shepherd$ sudo ./herd -s /var/run/shepherd/socket
>> status
>> Started:
>>  + file-system-/run/systemd
>>  + xorg-server
>>  + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuacct
>>  + file-system-/mnt/debian
>>  + syslogd
>>  + term-tty1
>>  + root-file-system
>>  + file-system-/sys/fs/cgroup/blkio
>>  + avahi-daemon
>
> Works for me!  I’m just wondering if there are ideas we could/should
> follow more closely the output of ‘systemctl status’.  IIRC, it displays
> a couple of lines for each service; for instance, we could display the
> “running” value and dependencies of each service, indented below its
> name.
>
> WDYT?  Would that make sense?
>
> Ludo’.

It's a good idea, and I think we should shoot for better output.
Listing a tree of dependencies is a great idea.

But I'm unlikely to have time to get to it soon.  I think it should be
on our TODO list, but for now, the preceding patch will still be a nice
improvement.

If someone else wants to step up to make those changes, of course,
great!

 - Chris