guix-devel

Re: Graphical Installer - Call for Testing.

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: Graphical Installer - Call for Testing.
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 15:53:17 -0500

On 01/04/2017 at 08:59 John Darrington writes:

> The wip-installer branch is ready for testing and general review.

This is looking really great! I tried ...

http://web.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/guixsd-graphical-installer-x86-64-linux

... on the headless server where I run GuixSD. I experienced these issues:

ATTEMPT 1

I started with a previously partitioned disk. I selected the 'Headless
server' option. I did not modify the config. The install completed w/o
errors. WOW! After restarting, I logged in to root and looked around. I
was a bit disappointed that no default user was created. So I figured I
needed to edit the config.scm file. But I didn't see it in /etc where I
hoped it would be. I was also a bit disappointed that emacs wasn't
installed.

Suggestions:

1) Add a user configuration menu/form?
2) save the config file in an obvious place?
3) install emacs?

ATTEMPT 2

This time I tried to set up the HD from scratch. I successfully deleted
old partitions and created new partitions. It was not clear how much I
needed to know (e.g., do I need to mark a partition bootable?)

Then I got stuck in "Allocate disk partitions".  I could enter a '/'
mount point. I could 're-create' the file system. 'Continue' took me
back to "select a partition". But I couldn't figure out how to get back
to the main menu/form to continue the installation.  I guess 'Go-Back'
is supposed to do this, but it was a noop for me.

George