[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [PATCH 2/2] scripts: system: Rename --no-grub option to --no-bootloa
Re: [PATCH 2/2] scripts: system: Rename --no-grub option to --no-bootloader.
Wed, 11 Jan 2017 00:10:08 +0100
I think it would be nice if we extended it to install a bootloader iff there is
a package specified in the operating-system configuration:
This wouldn't install a bootloader:
(bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")))
But this would install a bootloader:
(bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sda")
The advantages are:
- If the user doesn't specify to overwrite the bootloader it doesn't overwrite
the bootloader (ever - no more forgetting to pass --no-grub)
- The user has to specify either grub, grub-efi or u-boot - and if he doesn't,
it doesn't install a random one - it installs none (and keeps the installed one
- it would update for example the grub config file, though).
The disadvantages are:
- Config file not backwards compatible
- Installing from scratch without any bootloader is harder - docs should
What do you think?
That said, your patch series is OK as is!